Monday, November 12, 2007

My Bias and the Issue

Raised in a Christian home with parents of strict moral values, the issue of interracial relationships was never really discussed. Instead of talking about the issue I feel that my parents and church family simply ignored the topic in hopes of never having to directly deal with the situation. My Church that I am a member of is Southern Baptist, but not "hard core" Southern Baptist. I was never taught that bi-racial couple's were right, but on the other hand, it was never stated that these relationships were necessarily wrong either. My parents wanted me to make up my own mind of what I thought was "right" and "wrong" without other people telling me how to think.
The years of High School were the best years of my life and the time in my life where I feel like I learned the most. It was during this time that I watched some of my good friends become involved in interracial relationships. At first I was quite shocked, I'm not going to lie, but for some reason it didn't bother me as much as it bothered other people. It was pretty sad watching teens (especially girls) get shunned by their own "friends" because of their involvement with someone of a different culture. I have always had friends from several varying backgrounds, so I somewhat understood how a relationship could form between two people of different races.Having the chance to witness several biracial relationships, I have grown to accept interracial relationships and what they stand for.

No comments: